Hi Holotable Heroes,
Today’s Developer Insight covers a character you may not be too familiar with, the Sith Trooper
! He was revealed at San Diego Comic-Con, but how he fits into Rise of Skywalker remains a mystery. Our game designer, CG_Prophet, explains how this new unit fits into a First Order squad and answers where I can buy some of that awesome red armor.Q: Where did the Sith Trooper come from?
Q: Why did we bring this character to the holotables now?
- CG_P: As you mentioned, most of us got our first look at the Sith Trooper at San Diego Comic-Con this year. He’s the very striking, red-armored trooper you may have seen floating around the internet and, in the new movie, is an elite soldier deployed by the First Order. The movie has yet to be released, so we’re forced to be pretty light with the backstory of the character, but the copy on the box of the action figure released at SDCC probably has the best insight as to what these units are:
“In its ultimate push toward galactic conquest, the First Order readies an army of elite soldiers that draw inspiration from a dark and ancient legacy!” - Hasbro
When I was asked recently to describe the Sith Trooper without spoiling anything, I smiled and replied, “He’s the super shiny one.”
Q: Where did you get inspiration for the kit?
- CG_P: Similar to General Hux, we needed new characters to really fill out the First Order squad and enable some of the older kits to compete more effectively. The Sith Trooper was one of the first new characters released ahead of Episode IX and made the perfect addition to our First Order faction which was in need of a new and updated attacker. Of course, the Sith Trooper has been featured heavily leading up to The Rise of Skywalker and so it was a great opportunity to do something really exciting in advance of the movie.
Q: Why makes this character interesting and unique?
- CG_P: We normally have a movie or TV show that we can pull ideas, names, and animations from, but we couldn’t do that this time to ensure that the magic of seeing this unit in Rise of Skywalker wasn’t spoiled. We first looked at what the First Order needed in our game, and then combined it with what Lucas shared with us about his role in the film. We can’t share much story-wise, but this elite trooper is very punishing and brings some great additional utility to the First Order squad.
We included the Sith tag but I should mention it’s not designed to be his best squad. He can still fit into a Sith squad and provide some benefits and he’s a good alternative if you are missing a slot for a Sith attacker.
Q: What is your strategy in battle?
- CG_P: Most importantly, he’s a much needed source of damage for the First Order team. To accomplish this, he has an area of effect attack which deals more damage based on how many First Order or Sith allies on your side are currently defeated. He also synergizes well with Advantage, the main mechanic our First Order squads utilize.
Q: Anything else you want to add?
- CG_P: You’ll want to keep enemies away from attacking him as he’s a bit of a glass cannon and will need some protection from direct attacks. Sith Trooper has a ton of utility, such as a full team cleanse and multiple assists. For instance, he assists every time a First Order or Sith ally Stuns an enemy or lands a critical hit, which ties well into what First Order teams want, Advantage! As with all First Order teams, you’ll want to spread around Advantage as much as possible and keep it up on certain characters if you can. Combined with the new General Hux, this team is a ton of fun and between the two of them, they have an answer for just about anything.
- CG_P: Players have been asking for more simplified kits, so I worked hard to keep the mechanics straightforward with this character, but I think there’s still a whole host of interesting strategies and squad combinations. The Unique is the most complex of the abilities but it essentially amounts to dealing more damage and taking extra turns based on conditions that are easy to keep in mind.